An official army family and MWR Site

About Child and Youth Services

Welcome to CYS

Child and Youth Services (CYS) provides programs and services for children of eligible military and civilian families. Within CYS you will find something to meet your children’s needs, including:

  • Full, part time or hourly child care
  • Before/after school care
  • Camps
  • Programs for your middle school and teen youth
  • Instructional classes
  • Workforce preparation opportunities
  • Sports and fitness activities 

Today’s CYS programs, deemed a "model for the nation" by Presidential acclaim, continue to operate on these cornerstones:

  • Quality – Child care is DoD-certified and nationally accredited
  • Availability – Child care is available on- and off-post
  • Affordability – Fees for various programs are competitively priced and affordable regardless of sponsor's income
  • Accountability - To safeguard the Army's resources by efficient management oversight, good fiscal stewardship, reducing waste and protecting assets of programs and services to Soldiers and their Families.
Frequently Asked Questions

1. My child is on medication; can he/she bring the medication with him/her to school?

It depends on the medication. Some medications need to be specifically approved and some are not allowed (such as over-the-counter meds), while rescue meds must be accompanied by a Medical Action Plan. But don't worry, at the time of registration all children complete a Health Screening Tool which will begin the Multi-Disciplinary Inclusion Action Team process which will determine what accommodations your child will require while using CYS.

2. What happens if there is an unplanned school closure?

Anytime the schools are closed, CYS part-day programs will not take place. If there is a delayed school opening due to inclement weather, the Child Development Center and School Age Center will both open at 7:30 a.m. per the USAG Rheinland-Pfalz Inclement Weather Policy.

3. How do I register my child for a school on a different installation than my home installation?

For information on school registration, contact the School Liaison Officer at Commercial +49 (0)6783-6-6968. Your School Liaison Officer will put you in touch with the School Liaison Officer at the installation you're interested in to get the registration process started. Go to the School Liaison Officer - SLO Facility page on our website for information on how the School Liaison Officer can assist with school transitions.

4. Where can I get information on the directors and management staff?

For contact information on all CYS programs visit the CYS Category page on this website. Here you can find email and phone numbers for all our facilities.

5. Where do I find the program center?

Parent Central Services is located in Upper Wetzel in building 8876, on the first floor. Appointments and walk-in services are available. For appointments or information call Commercial +49 (0)6783-6-7003.

6. How do I register my child with CYS?

To register simply visit Parent Central Services. For forms, times and contact information and what is required for a complete registration, please visit the Register - Parent Central Services facility page on our website. Click to expand the "Registration and Forms" link.

7. Is childcare available only on post?

Childcare through CYS currently is only provided on post in the Baumholder area. There are, however, a variety of childcare options available on the local economy. From "Kindergarten" to "Tagesmutters." For assistance with off post options, speak with the Parent & Outreach Services Director at Commercial +49 (0)6783-6-7393.

8. How much do the different programs cost?

All child care program fees are based on Total Family Income calculated during the registration process. Each school year the Higher Headquarters releases a new fee chart to reflect any changes in fees. Please contact Parent Central Services at Commercial +49 (0)6783-6-7003 for more information or to obtain a current fee chart.

9. How do I decide which school on which installation to send my child to if there are multiple in my area?

There is currently only one Elementary School and one High School in Baumholder. Children in Kindergarten through 5th grade will go to Smith Elementary School, while 6th through 12th grades will attend the Baumholder Middle/High School in the upper Wetzel Housing Area.

10. Do buses take children both on and off-post?

Yes, school buses pick up and drop off children from multiple locations both on and off post. For a list of locations, contact the Student Transportation Office at Commercial +49 (0)6783-6-6874 or the School Liaison Officer at +49 (0)6783-6-6968.

More Child & Youth Services